Bring your own

时间:2019-03-08 04:07:14166网络整理admin

By Jeff Hecht VISITORS to Mars are advised not to drink the water. A meteorite from the Red Planet has revealed that the groundwater is highly alkaline and contains hazardous levels of lead and chromium. Allan Treiman, a geochemist at the Lunar and Planetary Institute in Houston analysed the minerals in a crystal from the meteorite, which was blasted from Mars 150 million years ago. Earlier research had confirmed that the crystal formed while in contact with liquid water, which flowed on Mars during its early history. The crystal was found to contain a mixture of lead chromate and lead sulphate, and must have been deposited from bitter alkaline water rich in sulphur, lead and chromium, Treiman told last week’s Lunar and Planetary Science Conference in Houston. The water would fail standards for drinking water, he reported. The revelation does not rule out life on Mars, however, as bacteria and algae survive in worse water on Earth. Ice frozen in the Martian soil above the groundwater layer should also be much less toxic. “Ground ice itself will be quite pure,