Student jobs are available at the university through RSU Career Services.
Off-campus employment requires authorization from Immigration. Please meet with the PDSO to discuss the following options.
Economic Hardship Employment
- Must have been in F-1 status for at least one full academic year.
- Must prove to USCIS that employment is necessary due to severe economic hardship caused by circumstances beyond his or her control that arose after obtaining F-1 status.
- Granted by USCIS in increments of one year at a time, or until the program end-date, whichever is shorter.
- Authorization ends if student transfers schools.
- Limited to 20 hours per week while school is in session; can be full-time during official school breaks.
- Must apply for EAD from USCIS, and receive EAD before employment begins.
- Social Security Number Application Procedure
Optical Practical Training (OPT)
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
- Complete Form I-765
- Please follow instructions for form I-765
- Complete Form G-1145
- Submit copy of I-94
- Copy of last EAD if applicable, if not EAD you must submit a copy of a government issued identity document, such as:
- a passport showing your picture, name, and birth date
- birth certificate with ID
- a visa issued by a foreign consulate
- a national ID document with photo and/or fingerprint
- Submit two identical color photographs of yourself within 30 days of filing a 2×2 passport style on back of photo print name and SEVIS number with pencil.
- Check or Money Order for $380 payable to Department of Homeland Security
- Submit the OPT Request Form
Once these documents are brought in, the International Advisor will request for OPT and print out a new I-20 showing the request. The student will need to sign the I-20 to be mailed in with documentation.